Week 4

We started the week with a celebration of the Fourth of July. Of course, it isn’t a holiday here in France. But every year there is a small celebration at the American Monument in the Cours Dajot. This year, it happens that an American ship is in port for an exchange with the French navy. There are over 2,000 American sailors and marines in town, so the celebration was a bit more extensive.

There were groups representing the French navy, the American navy, the American marines and French veterans. And of course, we were there.

There was a presentation of memorial floral wreaths by each group. Tasline represented us. She stood with an American colonel, the sub-prefect of Finistère, the mayor and an American consul.

At the end of the ceremony, the stagiaires sang the Marseilles, which is the French national anthem. Anna Charboneau sang the Star-Spangled Banner solo to complete the ceremony. It was very moving.

Tuesday was sports in the afternoon, as usual. However, we were in a new gym that is literally walking distance from our lunch cafeteria. We had been to this place in 2017, but it is an entirely new building. One room has mirrors for practicing our dance for the spectacle. The other room is huge, open and well-lit with goals on each end. And naturally, there were some invented games.

We even have access to an outdoor track and a rugby field.

Tuesday’s optional was l’escalade – rock wall climbing. Don’t worry, it was very safe. We went to a place called Climb-Up in a building called Ateliers des Cappucins. The building is an old ship build factory that has been converted into an enormous community center.

There are a couple of cafés and bookstores. There’s a library and a meditation room, and of course, Climb-Up. And there is a ton of wide-open space. On any given day, you can see kids playing soccer, riding scooters, roller-blading and skate boarding. On the weekends, it is a loud raucous space.

Just outside the entrance to Climb-Up, Napoleon’s original skiff is on display.

Even I suited up for rock wall climbing. Lucy wasn’t into wearing other people’s shoes; Nineth was thrilled when I told her she could check out the bookstores; for some reason Corentin and Jane were avid spectators.

I gave it a go about four or five times and never made it more than four feet above the mats. I gave it up when I landed on my bad knee. But some of are kids really took to it. We started to call Emily “Spiderman.” Anna Charbie made it to the top of at least four different runs. Dominic was awesome. Ely had to have glue on his palms. Abigail was awesome. Brooklyn was everywhere. I’m sure I’ve left people out, but I hope I’ve included them in the photos.

It was just a great experience!

Wednesday was a regular day, if we have such a thing. I’m sure that at home, these kids rush out of school the moment the bell rings. Here in Brest, we have to tell them to leave. I guess that’s a good thing.

Thursday we were again at Gymnase Foch (named for a WWII general from Brest). Anna Charbie went outside and practiced her shotput. There was some badminton and some volleyball. But pretty quickly the game to play was Lou-Garrou – not a sport at all, but the game Corentin played with them on the bus. They even got me to play.

With 24 people playing the game, it takes a while. So, we went about 30 minutes over.

But then we sent everyone on their way, because they had to get home, get something to eat before we went for Breton dancing. This is a traditional form of dancing unique to this area. Jean-Paul, one of our onsite coordinators and Fabienne, one of host moms are very into it. They practice every week and do festivals a couple of times a month.

It is so much fun for everyone. My bad knee has kept me from participating (that and two left feet). But I promised Fabienne that I would try this year. I made it through three dances. But all of the students loved it. As you’ll see from the photos and videos, it was a great time!

Friday was a bit subdued. Vigorous dancing until 10pm will do that to even the youngest among us. We also had to be quiet during our afternoon activities as a driving exam was being administered in one of the rooms we usually use.

With everything we’ve been doing, we’ve hardly thought about “senior” portraits. However, I did photograph four students and one today. I’m hoping I can get together with the others who want them on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. It will be virtually impossible to do them in Paris.

Of course, I’ll make tons of pictures of them. But, they won’t be portrait quality.

As of today, I have surpassed 1,900 images of the students that I have created. I’m sure Brooklyn has more than I do.

I have set up a Google Drive folder for all of my photos. I will set up a folder for each of our stagiaires within that folder. It is my sincere hope that each student will share their photos with everyone else on that site. (My school gives each teacher a ton of space on Google, and they only use a small percentage of it. So, I have been told to take as much space as I want.)

In the past, I give everyone a couple of weeks to upload their images. Then I create a Shutterfly album that anyone can download. I’ve even had students take my basic album and personalize it. I enjoy doing it, because the kids create images I would never be able to.

I’ll include the link in the very last blog post that I do the day after we arrive.

Tasline probably didn't know that everyone
would be looking at her. But she can handle it.

Offering the wreath.

Exchange of the wreaths.

Anna C is amazing.

After singing the Marseilles.

This the sour-préfect (like a county judge, only 
military, and the Mayor. (He doesn't usually come 
to things like this.)

Our group with the American consul for
Northwestern France. She's actually
very cool.

The American Monument is actually, legally, a
part of the United States in France - only about 
100 square yards, so there is no passport control.

Of course, Pigeon is everywhere.

Anna C and Charlie celebrated
their birthdays on July 3 and July 5,
So Bruno made an amazing cake!

Working on it.

Still more work.

Getting it together.

Badminton demon! 

Kenneth is taking to French handball.

Brooke uses her head.

So does Sheana, sort of.

Some people are more into running than others.

What are you talking about? We're good!

We'll get this dance down, no matter what!

Some people are part monkey.

Really, it's true.

And some people just channel
the Spiderman vibe.

Hang on kids!

It's easy, right?

The hair makes his super power.

Go Maddie!

Breathe, Eli!

Spiderman again!

Can Charbie do this at a 
track meet?

Go Abigail!

Kenneth cheats - long arms!

Defying gravity

Just a little bit more!

Check out the guns!

Girl power!

Gravity, what gravity?

One step at a time.

I said no pictures!

For a game that involves no action, it is intense.

How many people want you dead?

The faces of innocence.

Warming up for la danse bretonne.

The little fingers are really important.

Fabienne leads us.

Fabienne and Jean-Paul are pros.


 




Ohmigosh!

123,123

456,456

little fingers!

Allez-hup!

Allez-hup!

En ronde!

123, 123...

Pointe!

Là voilà!

Pointe!

Inclain...

Touche et tourne!

Touche et tourne!

On y va!

Et voilà!

Whoop-là!

On arrive!

C'est ça!

Voilà!

Allons-y!

Avance, avance...

Recule, recule...

Vendredi, on se relaxe.

The building director today
told me how talented he thought
Eli is.

We've got to choose this music!

Someone has had enough!

It's not really a bagpipe, but it almost sounds like one.

And that was basically our week.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Part 2

Our first few days

Week 3